Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A New President and hopefully more.

I'm sure you all know about the election results by now. If not then you just came out of a coma. For those of you wondering, I did vote. I was truly unsure if I would after being completely disillusioned in the past two elections. I'm still not sure if my vote matters, however. But that isn't my point here.
What is truly amazing to me is that we have a black man as President. Growing up in Texas, the n-word was used commonly at family gatherings. I don't believe that they meant it in a derogatory way (at least most of the time), but more as what was taught to them growing up. Lucky for me, my parents were different. I was raised in a house where I was taught not to judge others solely based on skin color. We were, and are just people. However, I would have never thought I'd see a black man as our President in my lifetime. In fact I'd thought we'd see a woman President before that ever happened.
I'm truly glad to see that the consensus of people in the United States have actually come as far as they have to see beyond color and to see people as people. It was only 40-50 years ago in which lynchings of black men in the south were a reality. I truly believe that this is the biggest thing I have ever witnessed in my short lifetime. That includes the Berlin Wall coming down, the fall of the Soviet Union, the ending of Apartheid, the World Trade Center coming down, and the Space Shuttle both launching and exploding. I can actually say that I'm proud of human beings today. Hopefully this is the beginning of bigger things to come.

5 comments:

John T said...

ok, now lets work on ending Genocide. If anyone can help, I think its Obama. Baby steps...

Julie T said...

That comment was from me, actually, not John...

Anonymous said...

John, your comments are right on! As we watched on TV last night, it was a joyful and historic time. The election results, gracious concession speech of John McCain, and eloquent presidential speech of Barak Obama offer hope of a new and better world for all of us.

Mom

Hunter Williams said...

Very nicely stated John!
I am proud of my country.

Hunter Williams said...

Look at this line-up:
http://www.patrickmoberg.com/november-4-2008.jpg